About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thai Peanut Shrimp

Whilst on the subject of Thai/ Asian food, I thought I would share one of our favorites. My family loves this dish.  Again, you can vary the amounts and the veggies used as much as you'd like and it would still taste great!

2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 small can sliced water chestnuts
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 16oz can coconut milk
2 tbs peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
1 tsp curry paste (I prefer red for this recipe, but any kind will work)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil (plus 1-2 tsp oil of your choice)
2 tbs sake or rice vinegar
1 tbs dried cilantro
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 package Asian style noodles, such as Japanese udon noodles or stir fry noodles
chopped peanuts or sesame seeds (optional)

In a stockpot or in a large, deep frying pan, saute the shrimp in the oil until pink.  Add all of the veggies and cook, stirring constantly so nothing burns or sticks.  Deglaze the pan with the sake or vinegar.  Add the coconut milk, curry paste, and peanut butter and stir well.  Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until hot.

Cook the noodles according to the package directions.  Serve the shrimp over the noodles with chopped peanuts or sesame seeds as a garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment