About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sweet & Spicy Cranberry Sauce with Mango, Cilantro, and Goat Cheese



This is a different take on the traditional cranberry sauce.  Instead of being sweet, it is more savory with sweet and tart notes.  The goat cheese pairs well with the mango and cilantro.  The onion brings out the flavors and the celery adds some texture.  Because it's baked with the cheese on top, it makes for a beautiful side dish to the holiday dinner table.




4 cups of fresh cranberries
2 tbs butter
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
Juice and zest of two limes
1 1/2- 3 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want)
1 mango, peeled and chopped
2 tbs dried cilantro
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced with the membrane removed
4 tbs crumbled goat cheese

Preheat the oven to 350.  

In a saucepan, saute the onion and celery in the butter.  Add the wine and cranberries.  When heated (you'll know because the "popping" will stop), add the remaining ingredients, except for the goat cheese.  Let it simmer to thicken for a few minutes.  

Remove from heat.  Pour into a small casserole dish and crumble the goat cheese on top.  Bake in the over for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.



No comments:

Post a Comment