About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Jamaican Chicken Sausage Jambalaya with Rice & Shrimp





I made this for the first time a few months ago, and it quickly became a favorite of my kids.  Even though my three year old insists that it is "hot dog soup"- gross- it gets him to eat it.  So... sausage, hotdogs, whatever:)

It is easy to make and can be pretty healthy and "clean". The crockpot version is easier, but it can also be made in a stockpot. Both versions are below.

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I have also used chicken breasts but dark meat is better in this recipe)
18 ounces smoked link sausage (I use a mix of pork, beef, and chicken)
1/2 to 1 pound shrimp, de-veined and peeled
1 quart diced tomatoes in the juice
2 bell peppers, diced
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 package sliced mushrooms
4 tbs Wildtree Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (You can order the mix from my personal website)
OR use 2 tbs cinnamon, 1 tbs nutmeg, 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper, 1/4 tbs thyme, 1/4 tbs oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
Rice (optional)
Cilantro and parsley- as garnish (optional)

Place all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. During the last thirty minutes, add the shrimp.

Serve over rice with some fresh cilantro, green onions, and lime wedges. If you left the chicken whole, shred with a fork once cooked.

If you use a stockpot, cube the chicken. Saute the chicken in some olive oil. Add the veggies and saute until tender. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Turn to simmer and add the shrimp. Serve like you would the crockpot version.

Jambalaya without the shrimp

No comments:

Post a Comment