About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Ginger Pear Cranberry Sauce with Cinnamon



I am SO in the holiday mood.  I love thanksgiving because I love cooking for everyone.  A couple of years ago, I made like four different kinds of cranberry sauce (well, my little sister helped).  They were all to die for, so this is one of my favorites.




This is what you'll need:

1 pear, peeled and diced
1/2 celery stalk, finely chopped
4 cups of fresh cranberries
1 cup Chardonnay, apple juice, or water
1 1/2- 2 cups light brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want)
2 tbs candied ginger, chopped
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon 
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla OPTIONAL (The cranberries and ginger can be pretty heavy and tart; vanilla can make it lighter and more mild, especially for kids.  I don't put vanilla in this particular recipe, although I do when I make pomegranate and cherry sauce.  It's up to you.)



Bring the pear, celery, cranberries, ginger, and Chardonnay to a boil, then add the remaining ingredients while stirring constantly to avoid sticking.

Turn the heat down to medium/low and simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the cranberries are done "popping".

Mmm... you will be able to smell the ginger and cinnamon cooking.  That's the best part:-)

This sauce will be very thick and chunky, not a jelly consistency like the canned kind. 

Serve warm or cold with your Thanksgiving Dinner.  The sauce will save for 10 days in the fridge so it can be eaten with leftovers:-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment