About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Lemon (Not-Meringue) Pie with Cardamom and Chocolate

When I was growing up, my grandfather's favorite pie was lemon meringue. I love lemon. Loooove it. But I don't not love meringue. Bleh. I wish I did- I try to like it. I eat it and I always think I will like it, but in the end its just whipped egg whites like usual. This pie is a little different from the typical lemon pie, so its a fun one to bring to a pot luck or holiday dinner.

Crust:

2 1/2 cup graham crackers, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs unsalted butter, melted
2 tbs brown sugar

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Press into a pie pan, making sure to cover the bottom and the sides. Bake for 15 minutes on 375. Take out to cool. Turn the oven down to 325.

Filling:
Juice of two large lemons (make sure to keep the zest)
14oz sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
2 tbs all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cardamom
2 tbs sugar

Whisk together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour into the pie crust and bake for 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely. I would let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour before moving on to the next step.

Not Meringue:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Zest of two lemons
4 tbs powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Whisk the heavy cream until firm peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and lemon zest. Then slowly add the rest of the ingredients. Pipe decoratively or spread onto the completely cooled pie.

Garnish with dark chocolate shavings or sauce and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment