About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Salted Caramel Mocha Scones

Holy crap.  I could eat these all day.  Salted Caramel anything is delicious but when you add chocolate it's a foodgasm.

I used dark, bittersweet chocolate (It is 80% cocoa and very lightly sweetened).  If you use a sweeter chocolate I would use less sugar or it may be a bit too sweet. You could also mix the two if you wanted.

Scones
2 cups unsifted, all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
6 tbs plus
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup plus 3 tbs heavy whipping cream, divided
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat Oven to 425.

Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder until combined.  In a food processor, or in a large bowl using a pastry cutter, add the butter and pulse until it looks like crumbs.  Add 2/3 cup whipping cream and chocolate chips and mix until well combined.  

Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 10 times.  Form the dough into a  1 inch thick circle and cut into eight pieces, like a pie.  

Arrange them on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining heavy cream.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

Caramel Frosting
1 cup caramel (I used caramel squares from the grocery store, unsalted and not flavored.  I used about 14 squares but it will vary depending on the kid you use).
1 tbs unsalted butter

On a double boiler, melt the caramel squares with the butter.  Whisk constantly to prevent sticking.  When the scones are cool enough to handle but the caramel is still warm and not set, dip the tops of the scones in the caramel.  You could also spoon the mixture onto the scones, making sure to completely cover the top.  

Topping
3 tbs course sea salt
1 tsp sugar
3 tbs dark chocolate chunks, chopped very finely (Next time I'm going to grate it with my microplane zester so it's nore like chocolate shavings).

Sprinkle the salt mixture over the scones before the caramel completely cools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment