About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Easy Valentine's Dessert

After I wrote about the lemon cake yesterday, I really realized what I was writing.  Even though it's an easy recipe to me, other's might have a harder time.  Especially because it's time consuming, and because there are so many steps.  So, I decided to write this recipe for those of us that would rather a simple, easy dessert that doesn't require as much clean up! ;-)  It's a simple lemon curd tart with raspberry sauce.




Curd:




2  cups Sugar
2  tsp cornstarch
1  cup fresh lemon juice (do not use Meyer Lemons)
3  large eggs, chilled
3  large egg yolks
1/2 cup unsalted butter


Combine sugar and cornstarch in a bowl.  Gradually add in the lemon juice.  Be sure to whisk constantly to avoid lumps.  Add eggs and egg yolk, and whisk for a minute, until the lumps are gone.  Heat on medium in a saucepan, stirring constantly.  Add the butter, keep stirring. Heat until boiling, making sure to stir so it doesn't stick or burn.

Pour into a bowl and chill.




Then, make the crust.  I got this recipe on the internet and I use it all the time.  If you have a different one, I'm sure it would be fine to use.


Crust: 


8 tbs unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt 
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 tbs ice water
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1/8 tsp baking powder


Mix all dry ingredients in food processor.  Add butter a little at a time, pulsing the processor between each addition.  Add vinegar, pulse.  Slowly add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, pulsing three or four times between each addition.  You may not use all of the water, and that's okay.  


Roll out dough into a ball and chill if desired.  On a floured surface, roll thin and place in a 9 inch diameter tart tin or shallow pie plate.  Place parchment paper over the crust and fill with dry rice or beans.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes (this is known as the "blind bake method", which will prevent the crust from bubbling up or having lumps).  Remove the rice and paper and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the crust is flaky and browning.


Then, make the frosting.  You have several choices, but my favorite is mascarpone frosting:


In a large bowl, whip 1 cup mascarpone or creme fraiche until thick.  Add 2 tsp powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste and whip.  Chill in a pastry bag.


After the crust has cooled completely, pour the curd into the crust. Decorate with the frosting.


The tart is good the way it is.  It doesn't *need* anything.  But, since this is for Valentine's Day, I think it needs something red and fancy;-)


Raspberry Sauce:


In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups frozen raspberries (or strawberries, or any other berry) and 1/4 cup sugar.  Heat on medium, stirring occasionally.


In a small glass, mix 2 tsp cornstarch with 1/8 cup merlot (you can really use any red wine that you like, but merlot and pinot noir are my favorites).  Add the mixture to the raspberries and heat.


Serve the tart cold with the hot berry sauce as a garnish.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment