About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Key Lime Pie- Lime Custard Pie with White Chocolate Flakes



OMG, I know.  Today I am a piggy, because I can't stop thinking about desserts.  Ha.  Oh well.

Here is another recipe, this time LIME instead of lemon.  I like this pie because the layers are so different: Salty, tart, then sweet.  It's the perfect combination.

Crust:

3 cups graham crakers, crushed.
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 tbs unsalted butter, melted

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until crumbly.  Press into a nine inch pie plate.  NOTE: This crust should be thicker than a normal graham cracker crust.  It should also be less sweet.

Bake on 350 for 15 minutes

Custard:

1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbs flour
4 egg yolks
5 tbs lime juice
zest of three limes

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour into the crust.  Bake on 350 for about 10-15 minutes, or until the filling is not runny and barely starting to brown.  Cool for at least one hour.

Topping:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbs vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (Mexican Vanilla is the best for this recipe)

Whip together both ingredients until fluffy.  Spread over COOLED pie.

Top with grated white chocolate (this I had at a restaurant in Portland, I thought it was amazing!) and lime slices.  Serve chilled.


Pardon this closeup.  My dad (yes, my very mature dad) was giving this pie bunny ears.  Unfortunately, it's the only photo I have of it.  Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment