About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Coffee Creamer Without the Crap



Update 11/12/2013:  First, I want to say thank you to all of my readers and followers!  This recipe has had over 1000 views in less than a year and hundreds of repins on Pinterest.  I couldn't be happier!  Thank you:-)  I also wanted to add a few holiday recipes to the blog and decided to update this one with Egg Nog Creamer.  I made it this morning, and it was fabulous.  It tasted so much better than the kind at the store.  The recipe variation is at the very bottom of the list..  

Busy Mama Recipes




I was making coffee at my house this morning, wishing I had an espresso machine. Oh well, Santa is forgiven... this year... ;-)

When I worked at Allyson's Kitchen, I drank a ton of coffee each day. I worked long days cooking, catering, cooking classes, etc and we had an espresso machine. So why not? I had the most amazing drinks there. Part of the reason was our house made coffee creamer.

We made different kinds depending on the season. They all turned out great. They are very easy and don't have all of the chemicals that the store bought creamer does.

I always used equal parts dairy and sweetened condensed milk. Working for a restaurant we had access to different sizes of condensed milk. The only ones in the grocery store are 14 ounces, but it works.  Most of the time the other milk was whole milk. But using half and half, 1%, non fat, soy, whatever will also work. Just depends on your preference. Also, some flavored milks or other milk, like coconut milk, can give a very yummy flavor.

I like my coffee not so sweet. If you like sweeter, you can add a sugar or simple syrup to your creamer (or stevia, whatever your preference). You can also buy the bottle of flavored syrup (like the kind they use at coffee shops) and add a little of that to your creamer.

Basic Sweet Cream:
14oz sweetened condensed milk
14oz milk of your choice
Mix together well and store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.


More variations include:

Coconut Creamer: use coconut milk or add 1 teaspoon coconut extract
Vanilla: add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste. You could also use vanilla soy milk.
Mexican Mocha: add cinnamon and a little cocoa powder
Almond Joy: add cocoa powder, almond extract, and use coconut milk (or coconut extract and almond milk)
Cherry Almond: cherry syrup and almond milk
Black Forrest: cocoa powder and cherry syrup
Vanilla Honey: add vanilla bean paste and local honey. Add cinnamon too- this is one of my favorites.
Raspberry White Chocolate: raspberry flavoring and some white chocolate powder or melted white chocolate. I would suggest not adding sugar to this one.
Hazelnut: add hazelnut extract
Snickers: hazelnut extract, caramel or caramel flavor, and cocoa powder
Peppermint mocha: peppermint extract and cocoa powder
Creme de Menthe: add spearmint extract
Salted Caramel: add caramel sauce or flavor and sprinkle sea salt and sugar on top.
French Vanilla: add hazelnut extract and vanilla bean paste
Pumpkin Spice (my favorite): on stove top, heat up 1/8 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), 14oz sweet condensed milk, 2tbs brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Mix well. It will turn out like a thick sauce. Add that sauce to 14oz of milk and mix well. You may choose to add more milk because this is one of the sweeter recipes.
Italian Sweet Creme: add vanilla and almond extract
EggNog: Use eggnog for the milk and add nutmeg to the top

4 comments:

  1. This is great, I'm going to give them a try. I'm getting back on Weigh Watchers, so this will help a lot with my morning coffee. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, I believe raw sugar is 0 points:-) If you like your creamer sweeter than the recipes, try using Sugar in the Raw instead of other sweeteners.

      There are a lot of other snacks and recipes on my blog that are diet friendly and can be modified to fit Weight Watchers point system (the Minestrone recipe I have is 0 point on WW if you omit the potato/pasta).

      Good luck on your WW journey! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I love it when a recipe of mine attracts new readers! I hope you enjoy some more of my recipes:-)

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete