About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cilantro Vinaigrette- Mexican or Asian- two recipes plus variations!

I'm posting this because it is my step mom's favorite:-)  I made it a couple of years ago and brought it to their house for a BBQ or something, and ever since then she asks for me to bring it with me to dinners.  It's great on salad and pasta salad, which is what we usually serve it with.

It's very easy, light, healthy, and has a delicious flavor.  It could also be used as a marinade for meat and fish.

For the Mexican version:

1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, chopped
3-5 green onions, finely chopped
1 tbs sugar or honey
zest and juice of two limes
1/8- 1/4 cup vinegar (I like to use white vinegar but red wine would also work)
1/2 tsp dried cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup oil (either light olive oil, grapeseed oil, or blend oil work best)

Blend all ingredients except oil in food processor or blender until it makes a thick paste.  With the food processor on high, slowly add in oil.

For the creamy version:

To make the dressing creamy, add in one egg yolk before the oil (but make sure to keep  it cold if you do so).  Use white vinegar.

For an Herb Vinaigrette:

Same recipe as above, except use basil, parsley, and cilantro (1 bunch total).  Sub lemon for lime. Leave out the cumin and chili powder and add in some dried oregano or thyme.  Use apple cider vinegar or a mix of acv and white vinegar.

For the Asian version:


1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, chopped
1/2 bunch fresh basil, leaves only, chopped
3 green onions or 1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tbs brown sugar
zest and juice of two limes
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbs powdered ginger or (I prefer) 4 tbs grated fresh ginger
salt and white pepper to taste
1/2- 3/4 cup oil total (either peanut oil or blend oil work best).  I also like to use a little sesame oil if I can for flavor.
Optional: Sesame seeds

Blend all ingredients except oil in food processor or blender until it makes a thick paste.  With the food processor on high, slowly add in oil.

This goes great with a Chinese salad or on a Japanese style noodle salad.  I have also used in in stir fry instead of soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment