About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Homemade (Smokey Bacon) Bleu Cheese Dressing -Shop Local!



Bleu Cheese dressing is, without a doubt, my all time favorite salad dressing.  I love it.  I wish it were lower in calories, but I still get it when we go out to eat.  Because it's so fattening, I hardly ever make it at home unless we are having guests or taking it to a potluck or family dinner.

With that said, I absolutely despise when blue cheese dressing is like runny ranch with chunks of mild bleu cheese- it might as well be feta or something.  It drives me insane.  It also bothers me when people spell it "blue"... even though it's sort of correct- it's only in America:-)  Sometimes I need to be more fancy than that...

The key to good bleu cheese dressing is good cheese- duh.  My favorites have been Oregonzola, which is made by Rogue Valley Creamery in Southern Oregon.


I also love a kind called Smokey Blue, made by the same company (adding bacon to a smokey dressing recipe will be amazing on burgers or fries- it would be the hit of a BBQ potluck in the Summer).  
When I worked at Allyson's Kitchen, most of our cheeses (or bleu cheese, anyway) came from the Rogue Creamery.  Since Allyson's started in Ashland, Oregon, the business was supporting another local business.  Although Allyon's Kitchen is now closed, you can still purchase from Rogue Creamery by visiting their website- or going to a store that sells their product.  I would highly recommend it- the cheese is GREAT quality and world renowned- even winning at the World Cheese Awards in England last year. 

Of course, you can get all kind of cheese at your grocery store and other cheese stores.  I also don't like the kind at the store that comes crumbled.  It's worth it to buy a chunk or wedge and chop it yourself.  

Ingredients:

1/2 lb bleu cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup mayonaisse (I like to make my own, but store bought will last longer and is easier for most people, as they already have it in the fridge)
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
zest and juice of one lemon
salt and black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 7 days.  For the Smokey Bacon Bleu Cheese dressing, just use Smokey Blue (or a different smoked bleu cheese; or just add smoked paprika to the original recipe) and add some cooked bacon crumbles.

Note:  You can adjust the amounts of mayo and buttermilk to make the dressing as thick as you would like it.  Making the cheese crumbles smaller or bigger will effect the thickness (small crumbles for a thicker, less chunky dressing).

Do not use an electric mixer in this recipe.  It will be fine at first but the dressing will thicken because of the mayo (eggs) and other ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment