About the Chef

My photo
Oregon, United States
My name is Alexia. I have lived in NE Oregon for most of my life, and love it here because it's where my family is. I have 3 younger sisters, 3 younger brothers, and a million cousins. I live with my husband and our three boys, and our dog Norman. My family is Greek/ Cajun/ Mexican, so food is very important to us;-) I love cooking and creating new recipes, my kids, my family, wine, painting, and everything retro! I am a dialysis technician. I love my job and my patients. I am currently studying to be a nurse. I love school, and so far it has been good to me... Dean's List or Honor Roll each term! Between work, school, my husband, our kids and all of their activities and adventures, I don't have a ton of time to blog. I love sharing recipes, so I make time for it when I can. You can follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration (thanks to those of you that have pinned my recipes!): pinterest.com/lexisamom .

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Instead of Mayo...

I hate mayonnaise on sandwiches, usually.  I can handle it is it's just a small amount or if it's used in tuna salad or something like that.  But really, I would rather have something yummier (and healthier if possible).

We have sandwiches all the time at my house (my grandpa grinds his own wheat so sometimes I even make my own bread;-)... not all the time though).  My favorite is avocado or salsa in place of mayo, but we have hummus, pesto, and other spreads that we like too.  Below are some recipes to spruce up mayo or a like spread.  You can keep them in your fridges for about a week, covered, and use them the whole week.  some of them make good spreads for wraps and paninis too.

I like to use homemade mayonnaise in these recipes because I get free eggs from my grandpa's chickens and it's fairly easy to make.  However, store bought is easy for a lot of people because it's what they have on hand in their fridge.  Plus, since the store bought kind uses pasteurized eggs, mayo takes forever to go bad, whereas the homemade kind goes bad quicker, even if you coddle the eggs. 

1. Red Onion Mayo
We used this at Allyson's Kitchen when we made ham sandwiches.  It's so easy- roast half a red onion in the oven, chop it up super fine, mix with 1/4 cup mayo, and add a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.  mix it up and use it as a spread. 

2. Horseradish Mayo
We also used something similar to this at Allyson's Kitchen.  Obviously, this spread is a fav on roast beef.  It can also be used as a sauce for meat and veggie platter that include roast beef or pastrami.  So easy:  Mix 1/2 cup mayo with 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish.  Add 4 tablespoon fresh, chopped parsley, and the zest and juice of one lemon.  Top it off with paprika, salt, and pepper, and it makes one delicious spread!  

3. Pesto Mayo
Easy.  Mix one part pesto to one part mayo (I also like to use Greek yogurt or sour cream instead because it's healthier).  I like to use basil pesto, parsley pesto, or sundried tomato pesto- which goes great on a sandwich with fresh mozzarella, red onion, and balsamic vinegar.

4. Blue Cheese (one of my favorites).
Use this blue cheese dressing recipe but instead of using 1/4 cup each buttermilk and mayo, use more mayo and less buttermilk so it's thicker.  It's up to you how much you vary the recipe.

5. Honey Mustard
It's a more fun alternative over yellow mustard and mayonnaise.  Plus, this recipe is vegan and FAT FREE!  You can't beat that! Use this Spicy Honey Dijon recipe.  This also makes a great dipping sauce for meat and cheese platters- especially with ham or roast beef.  

6. Caesar (or garlic aioli)
Caeser dressing is basic.  I love homemade, but for an easier version, mix 1/4 cup mayo, 3 anchovies (pureed), lemon juice from half a lemon, 1 tsp Dijon, and 4-5 cloves or minced garlic together.  Add salt and pepper at the end.  Easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment